Friday, October 24, 2008

Transparency...Vulnerable But Valuable

I believe that any person who commits to leadership in any organization or institution must believe intuitively that they have been called, selected and divinely assigned to do so. As a veteran of the new apostolic wave of leadership in this new testament church within the 21st century, I have become introduced to countless gifts; gifts in other leaders, gifts in the person's that have been assigned to work with me in leadership and gifts in the pew and in public. In all of these encounters I have come to accept the need for and the danger in being transparent before those I must serve. I purposely utilize the word serve because I'm the consummate servant in all of my leadership charges.

I have, by some close to me, been accused of being too transparent and in retrospect I must concur that on occasion I have revealed too much, too soon to persons whose hearts and intentions I have not tried or proven. Yet, in all of the misfortunes of my own interpersonal relationships with others, I'm still a strong proponent of being transparent as a means to protecting the integrity of who I am. I am convinced I need no persons in my life, specifically within my inner circle who can't take the real me. As a matter of fact, as a leader the flow of my anointing is impeded when I cannot be the person God has created me to be. Might I suggest, at the risk of being accused as practicing preachment in my blog, that you cannot realize your true potential or correct your own inadequacies if you are not allowed to reveal your true self. The ultimate challenge in doing this, is being surrounded by the right people who can celebrate, correct or nurture your true self without violating the trust of having been privy to a revelation of your heart.

I know full well how vulnerable transparency makes us and to many this vulnerability causes them to feel disadvantaged ,but I have found my strength in this form of leadership. The scripture declares HIS strength is made perfect in our weakness and I have experienced this strength. I have given of my heart in the building and sustaining of ministry, I have freely poured out of that which GOD has given me to others without hesitation and most times recompense of reward. I have communicated to those the truths I have secured in my own life and have taught even while learning through my own experiences without fear of retribution or questions. In all, I am certain that it is in transparency that people are able to look past and through me into the heart and mind of the FATHER, because the truth is we don't need people to see us only. They need to see HIM who abides on the inside of us, for the glory is all HIS!

I have come to embrace the value of this transparency as a reflection of the need for us to focus on the glory of GOD and not just the glorification of self. Don't resist the opportunity to show your true self, it will not always be received or appreciated, and by all means don't cast your pearls before swine. Acknowledge your assignments, know who you are to share with and to whom you are sent. In all you do, be real and GOD will protect your heart as you reveal it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So true and such helpful insight to all of us who are in ministry and ESPECIALLY have a calling to lead or shepherd. I am including, with all my many notes, in my binder to reflect back on when im pastoring. I read a book entitled "If I Could Start My Ministry Again" which shared the testimonies of pastors who, if they had true mentors when entering ministry, they could have done so much more or been more effective. Well I thank God for that book but moreso am grateful to have an Apostle and Father who leads by example and with transparency so that I dont have to be one of those pastors (in the book).